Wednesday, April 15, 2009

things are speeding up

Today I have been thinking about the first meeting.
I use that for discussing the organization of the course.
But the remaining time I like to spend with some philosophical discussions.

I intend to show to the students that there are many questions around things that seem so obvious. I don't know yet which to discuss exactly, but topics might be:
> is there a single truth for us to be discovered, or do we construct our own truth by interpreting the results of our experiments
> what is it that makes a scientist a scientist , what is the difference with a designer (if any) or with a technician
> what can be a topic of scientific study (humans, things, ideas, theories etc)
I don't (we don't) have the time to explore these things well, my purpose is merely to show that questions can be asked.

I visited my coach with these things and he offered me a technique, that might be helpfull to guide the discussions:
> you have an actor, a process and a product, for instance: scientist, conducting scientific research, and a scientific paper/presentation
> what are the qualities of these 3 aspects?
Alternative angle: who should you be to conduct research and how do you present/write it in order to honor your results. Because I assume it is YOUR results, and somebody else would have different results, hopefully similar, but different.

I have to think about how I am going to act next week.

He reminded me of a format I have seen quite often: pose your question, let everybody think for themselves for a few minutes, exchange ideas with a neighbor and then share results in the group.

I also tried to make a feedback form, to be used for the feedback on the search strategies. I intend to give this specific feedback myself, but I was adviced to do it in such a way that I could act as a role model for the students for the later sessions.

No comments: